The Center of Advanced Practice provides administrative infrastucture and a central organization of processes around the Advanced Practice Provider (APP) roles:
- Physician Assistants (PAs)
- Nurse Practitioners (NPs)
- Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs)
- Clinial Nurse Specialists (CNSs)
Stanford Health Care has certain hiring criteria that are more rigorous for APPs than the state mandates for licensure/certification:
- NPs, CRNAs, and CNSs are required to have a master's or doctoral degree in nursing and be nationally board certified:
- PAs must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree and be nationally certified.
Stanford Health Care APPs are considered medical providers who treat, diagnose, prescribe and perform/assist in surgical procedures in collaboration with physicians.
As required by California law, they are supervised by an attending physician and scope of practice is overseen and reviewed by the Interdisciplinary Practice Committee (IDPC), Credentials & Privileged Committee, Medical Executive Committee and the Governing Board.